I would love to get more feedback from readers. If you have any comments about a post or if you have a question, please feel free to leave a comment below. I'll try to respond to everyone although it might take a little while at times. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Crawl Out Through The Fallout Baby

If you found this article interesting, or you had something you would like to share, please leave a comment below. I always enjoy feedback and I'll try to respond as quickly as I can.

Crawl out through the fallout, baby
When they drop that bomb
Crawl out through the fallout
With the greatest of aplomb
When your white count's getting higher
Hurry, don't delay
I'll hold you close and kiss those
Radiation burns away--

  I've been thinking lately about songs that were written during other presidencies, but that have become relevant again under the Trump administration. Now, granted, the first songs I thought of were things like American Idiot by Green Day and  BYOB by System of a Down, but I think that Crawl Out Through The Fallout works quite nicely as well. I'll begin with some background about the song.

Image result for sheldon allman

  Sheldon Allman, born June 8, 1924 - passed away January 22, 2002, was an actor, singer, and songwriter whose career lasted from1958 to 1995. His singing career began during his service with the Royal Canadian Airforce in World War 2. He later moved to Los Angeles where he would go on to star in 12 movies. Some of his works include the theme song for George of the Jungle and "The Pretty Little Filly with the Ponytail" from TV's Mister Ed. In 1960, Sheldon Allman released his album Folk Songs for the 21st Century. This was a novelty album and included songs like "Crawl Out Through The Fallout" and "Radioactive Mama". 

  Now the lyrics tell a rather simple story. The singer is reassuring his girlfriend, in a rather tongue in cheek manner, that they'll be fine even after the bombs have been dropped. The whole song is practically dripping with satire and sarcasm. I love it. And I think it works rather well in today's political climate. Of course, this song was written during the cold war. The nukes would have been coming from Russia. Now the nukes are likely to come from North Korea or Iran. Either way, we end up crawling out through the fallout to paraphrase Allman.

  I wonder how many other songs from past generations are going to become frighteningly relevant once again? Are the babyboomer's children going to have to live through a second Cuban missile crisis? It reminds me of that famous quote "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it." Although I'm afraid Kurt Vonnegut had it more correct when he said "...we're doomed to repeat the past no matter what. That's what it is to be alive."

No comments:

Post a Comment